Gut-n-Owit
It's a phrase from the good-ol' days. Those of you who live locally, or those who lived here in the past, might remember a radio station in Boyertown that transmitted on 107.5 FM, and changed their call their call letters a few times over the years. If I remember correctly, they once called themselves WBYL, then later WBYO, then later WBYN. The radio station was the brainchild of one certain Berks County Dutchman named David Hendricks, among others. "Davey" had a radio show like none other called the "Wunnerfitz Hour." Davey would get on the air, and wait for people to call him, then they would yap away in Pennsylvania Dutch about anything and everything under the sun. The point of it was that there are still a lot of people in the Berks and Lehigh Valley area that still know how to speak PA Dutch, and Davey Hendricks wanted to hear it and give everybody else hear it. Almost every conversation on every phone call he got started with the caller asking, "Iss dis da Davey?" And Hendricks would answer, "Yah, diss iss da Davey."
It has been several years since the "Wunnerfitz Hour" has been broadcasted. Time moves on. Fast forward to now. WBYN no longer broadcasts on 107.5 FM. They've been replaced by some other station called "Frank FM." Unbeknown to me, WBYN still exists, and they transmit across the internet, AM radio, and HD radio....if I have all of my info correct. I don't think they do the "Wunnafitz Hour" anymore though. Dave Hendricks passed away earlier this year.
Wunnafitz hour or not, I wanted to post a link to the radio station, so I fiddled around with Blogger until I figured out how to design my own widget (or whatever you call it) for WBYN. You can see it to the right of this page, just below my music player. If you click on the WBYN banner, you can hear WBYN being broadcast on your computer if you have high-speed internet. If you click on WBYN.com, it will take you to the station's website. Enjoy!
Oh, and by the way, the phrase "Gut-n-Owit" means "Good evening" in PA Dutch. That's how Dave Hendricks usually ended most of his phone conversations on the Wunnafitz Hour. So on behalf of the entire old-school entourage of Wunnafitz Hour listeners and callers, I say "Gut-n-Owit to you Davey." Ok, is that weird or what?
It has been several years since the "Wunnerfitz Hour" has been broadcasted. Time moves on. Fast forward to now. WBYN no longer broadcasts on 107.5 FM. They've been replaced by some other station called "Frank FM." Unbeknown to me, WBYN still exists, and they transmit across the internet, AM radio, and HD radio....if I have all of my info correct. I don't think they do the "Wunnafitz Hour" anymore though. Dave Hendricks passed away earlier this year.
Wunnafitz hour or not, I wanted to post a link to the radio station, so I fiddled around with Blogger until I figured out how to design my own widget (or whatever you call it) for WBYN. You can see it to the right of this page, just below my music player. If you click on the WBYN banner, you can hear WBYN being broadcast on your computer if you have high-speed internet. If you click on WBYN.com, it will take you to the station's website. Enjoy!
Oh, and by the way, the phrase "Gut-n-Owit" means "Good evening" in PA Dutch. That's how Dave Hendricks usually ended most of his phone conversations on the Wunnafitz Hour. So on behalf of the entire old-school entourage of Wunnafitz Hour listeners and callers, I say "Gut-n-Owit to you Davey." Ok, is that weird or what?




1 Comments:
That Berks Co Dutch is the reason I had a hard time learning Ohio Dutch and the reason I now snicker in the store aisles when hearing locals talk.
Post a Comment
<< Home