Vehiculars
Even though fuel prices have come down quite a bit, I don't trust any claims that they will stay down (haven't heard any either). If all goes as planned, I'll be commuting 45 miles one way to work next year, and I'm thinking about maybe getting a vehicle that gets better fuel mileage after I graduate. Anyone who knows me well, knows that I'm a die-hard Chevy driver, but in this case I don't really care too much what I get, as long as it's not a Jetta. Does anyone have some ideas? What do you drive? What kind of fuel mileage do you get? I'm hoping to find something that gets at about 40 miles per gallon or better, if possible. It doesn't have to be anything glamorous. I just want something that I can put a lot of highway miles on without much maintenance. I'm hoping to find something for less than $5,000 but if I find a good deal on something that gets exceptionally good fuel mileage, I might go as high as $8,000. I would like to stop using my lowrider for daily commuting, and maybe eventually restore it. Maybe it will be worth something when I'm an old geezer.
Also, my maroon truck is for sale. If you know anyone who wants it, send them my way. Anyone interested should make an offer - less than $1,000. I'm negotiable on the price, and I need money for college. Put it this way, if you make an adequate donation to the "Help Bubba Through College" fund, I'll donate a truck to your cause. I don't really need the truck anymore because I have a 4x4 Blazer for the winter. Here's some info about the truck:
1991 Chevy S-10, Extended Cab, 4x4, 187,000 miles. 4.3 Liter V6, Automatic transmission, 3.42 gears, air conditioning. It was recently given a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.). The inspection sticker is good until February 2009. It has a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust with dual exhaust from the muffler on back. The front differential was rebuilt within approximately the last 5-10K miles. The leaf springs in the back are from a full size Chevy 1500 pickup, plus one extra leaf, so it can be loaded fairly heavy. With a good set of mud tires, this truck has proven itself quite capable in the snow, and I've pulled out dozens of stuck vehicles that were bigger than this truck, and responded to lots of emergency 911 calls in all sorts of foul weather. It has some rust, especially on the bed. I think it has some wiring issues, like maybe a loose connection somewhere, because the air conditioner keeps blowing the fuse, and it doesn't quite idle as smooth as it used to. It intermittently stutters, then clears up. I thought maybe there was a problem with the fuel pump, so I took that all apart, put another one in, and it still acts the same. I'm not an electrician, and I don't have the time or patience to track down the problem, but I'm almost sure there is a wire shorting out somewhere.When it had the mud tires on, it got about 17 miles per gallon driving to school, but if the wiring was figured out, I think it would do a little better, and it would run fine for a good while yet. I would like to keep the cowl induction hood, unless any potential buyer would really want it, but I will be even more negotiable on my price if I can keep the hood. I have another factory-style hood available from a friend. I repainted the truck back in 2002, and I think I still have some matching paint with the mixture code somewhere, so that other hood could be painted to match.
OK, so if you are still reading, and you are possibly interested in this truck, my phone number is 484-824-5938.



Also, my maroon truck is for sale. If you know anyone who wants it, send them my way. Anyone interested should make an offer - less than $1,000. I'm negotiable on the price, and I need money for college. Put it this way, if you make an adequate donation to the "Help Bubba Through College" fund, I'll donate a truck to your cause. I don't really need the truck anymore because I have a 4x4 Blazer for the winter. Here's some info about the truck:
1991 Chevy S-10, Extended Cab, 4x4, 187,000 miles. 4.3 Liter V6, Automatic transmission, 3.42 gears, air conditioning. It was recently given a tune-up (spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.). The inspection sticker is good until February 2009. It has a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust with dual exhaust from the muffler on back. The front differential was rebuilt within approximately the last 5-10K miles. The leaf springs in the back are from a full size Chevy 1500 pickup, plus one extra leaf, so it can be loaded fairly heavy. With a good set of mud tires, this truck has proven itself quite capable in the snow, and I've pulled out dozens of stuck vehicles that were bigger than this truck, and responded to lots of emergency 911 calls in all sorts of foul weather. It has some rust, especially on the bed. I think it has some wiring issues, like maybe a loose connection somewhere, because the air conditioner keeps blowing the fuse, and it doesn't quite idle as smooth as it used to. It intermittently stutters, then clears up. I thought maybe there was a problem with the fuel pump, so I took that all apart, put another one in, and it still acts the same. I'm not an electrician, and I don't have the time or patience to track down the problem, but I'm almost sure there is a wire shorting out somewhere.When it had the mud tires on, it got about 17 miles per gallon driving to school, but if the wiring was figured out, I think it would do a little better, and it would run fine for a good while yet. I would like to keep the cowl induction hood, unless any potential buyer would really want it, but I will be even more negotiable on my price if I can keep the hood. I have another factory-style hood available from a friend. I repainted the truck back in 2002, and I think I still have some matching paint with the mixture code somewhere, so that other hood could be painted to match.
OK, so if you are still reading, and you are possibly interested in this truck, my phone number is 484-824-5938.




5 Comments:
A Ford Focus would be a good choice. Well built, reliable and fuel efficient. Yes, I strongly recommend that you buy a Ford Focus. I drive a Focus station wagon and get 38.5 miles per gallon. If you would buy the two door model, I'm sure you would get 40 miles per gallon.
Making engine noises with your armpits and lips is a whole lot more cost effective than a Focus, especially when you factor in maintenance costs.
I'm for conserving fuel--as long as the vehicle has four wheels and not just two.
Oh, I can believe the fuel efficient part about the ford focus. However, I'm doubting the "well built, reliable" part. Are you sure about that? I mean, I've been told that ford circles the problem. I've been told that Ford stands for "Found on roadside dead" or "Fix or repair daily" or "Fast only rolling downhill." I would have people poking all kinds of fun if I took to driving a ford, but I reckon it could be done. What about a Saturn? Those get good mileage too, don't they?
Jolin Hoover has a Saturn with 60k miles he wants to sell.
Post a Comment
<< Home