Fuel Milage!
It's sort of an old man's bike. It's a 1998 Honda Shadow 750cc, American Classic Edition. It has a little over 17,000 miles on it, and it gets about 50 miles per gallon. I know it's rather risky to be owning one of these, and I do feel sort of vulnerable on the thing, but I'm also learning to be a lot more cautious of a driver because of getting this. When I went to buy insurance, I went with Progressive because they are one of the few insurance companies that will provide medical coverage for the driver in the event of an accident. I maxed out the coverage, and it doubled my rate to add medical coverage, but I don't care. I've seen enough, and a good insurance policy is well worth it. I am hoping to be one of those many drivers who can put thousands of miles on over many years and never have any incidents. I already have been taking notice to things that weren't a big deal to me in my truck... I already hit a ground hog. A cop pulled out in front of me. Somebody else almost backed out onto the road in front of me from their driveway. You have to pay attention to the weather forecast before you decide to leave for work on one of these machines. Loose gravel or cinders leftover from the winter on the roadway are not cool. Look ahead for them. Watch out for road apples. Look ahead, but keep scanning the road and roadside too for anyone or anything that might run, jump, fly, tumble, bounce, or slither out in front of you. Constantly be scanning for a clear route of escape if you have to swerve. Drive with your high beams on during daylight. Don't travel faster than a speed that exceeds your maximum stopping distance within your visibility distance at any given time; it's a gamble not worth taking. I'm finding that I travel slower on the bike than in any other vehicle I've ever driven. I've found myself going 10 mph below the speed limit because that's what felt like a comfortable speed for the situation. I've also invested in a bunch of safety equipment, including a jacket that has embedded shoulder and elbow protectors, a new SNELL rated helmet that is yellow, a bright green reflective vest, special gloves to protect against skinning the nuckles or palms in the event of a skid, and a pair of knee protectors like dirtbike riders wear. I've had my permit for a while, and I'm registered for a safety class in June. I'm not out to do anything crazy, or to go fast, or to try any stunt riding. That's why I didn't buy a lay-down bike, or crotch rocket, or rice burner, or weedeater on steroids, or whatever else you call them things. I've driven those a little, and I know all too well that I don't belong owning one of them, because I would not be responsible on one. I'll just putter along on my old man's bike, and save myself a boatload on fuel. Cruisers are more comfortable to ride long distance than crotch rockets anyway.




1 Comments:
Hoodlum in bibs...
Post a Comment
<< Home