Monday, September 08, 2008

My new word:

Again, I have a new word.

Metonomy: a figure of speech that consists of the use of the name of one object or concept for that of another to which it is related, or of which it is a part, as “scepter” for “sovereignty,” or “the bottle” for “strong drink,” or “count heads (or noses)” for “count people.” (dictionary.com)

How often do you use any metonomies in your conversations? Probably a lot more than you realize. I knew of this concept before, but I didn't know they had a word for it. Do not confuse metonomy with metaphor; they are two different things.

Reference:
metonymy. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved September 08, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/metonymy

1 Comments:

Blogger Gray Lane said...

"Give us this day our daily bread" means a whole lot more than bread. "She gave her hand in marriage" is another one I use in class sometimes. Who ever heard of just a hand marrying? Metonomy is a fascinating literary technique.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home