Thursday, September 25, 2008

Alvernia University!

This year is the 50th anniversary for Alvernia College, where I attend. And as of today, it is now officially Alvernia University, as recognized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. They announced that there would be a big annoncement, and then they announced their big announcement at the announced time. They gave away 1,000 free t-shirts, and we got out of one of the classes early for the ceremony, and we had free food, and the college books store put all of the stuff they have that says "Alvernia College" on 20% sale today. No, I didn't get a free t-shirt; they gave them all away within about 15 minutes, and it was before our professor left us out of class. I got some free food, but it was left-overs, because I didn't want to wait in line. I needed to get to my next class, so I came back later when everyone had cleared out.
You can see that we are now a University just by visiting our website: www.alvernia.edu. They changed the logo at the top of the webpage after the ceremony. And you can see pictures from today also; just keep hitting the refresh button on the home page.
So what does that mean to me? Not much, but it made for a big ruckus, and lots of people making a big shabang about it. I'm happy for the people to whom it matters. I guess my degree will say Alvernia University on it. Will that look better on a resume?
Speaking of things looking good on a resume....there was another interesting turn of events at school this week. I got a special invitation to join the local chapter of Sigma Theta Tau. You never heard of it before??? Me either. I didn't give it a second glance until the other students told me a little more about it. Apparently, there's more to it than I realized, but exactly how much, I'm still not sure. I guess I'm proving my ignorance here. Apparently it's by invitation only for the senior nursing students, and not every senior gets invited. I think about 18 of the 60ish seniors got invited. Sigma Theta Tau is one of the largest nursing honor societies, and to get an invitation to join as a student is a form of recognition. I'm not sure what the criteria is that they use to pick students for this, but it's not just grades. I really don't know what I did. I'm certainly not one of the top students in terms of grade point average. I was looking at Sigma Theta Tau's website, and apparently they provide a number of resources for nurses to network, and get their works published, and they provide access to a number of valuable research resources, and so on. I guess I'll go for it, but I still refuse to become a hoity-toity know-it-all in some ivory tower. I'm still Bubba. I still drive a truck, and I have friends who are mechanics and farmers and butchers. But I butcher my own squirrels and deer. Ya' heard? :-) LOL!

8 Comments:

Blogger Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

You would have more fun if you joined a sorority.

Friday, September 26, 2008 6:51:00 AM  
Blogger Gray Lane said...

Don't listen to your big brother. I think you would feel a bit out of place. Anyway, congratulations are in order for you on being invited to join the honor society. That will look good on a resume and they may have resources available that will help you continue your education at some point or get a better position with the degree you will have. Third item in my comment: I fear it will take me a while to switch to Alvernia University. It will be like it was with LMS changing to LMH and then back to LMS. I never did get that one.

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger GKStauffer said...

The only sororities at Alvernia that I know of are the cheerleading squad and the Bernardine sisters. I don't think I would fit in too well either place because, um....I have a beard?? No, that wasn't it.... um.....oh yeah, I'M A GUY!!!

Friday, September 26, 2008 2:23:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got an invitation from them too, as did a few of my classmates. I'm probably the only one that turned it down. Greek societies are Greek to me too. I've pretty much figured out that it's all about being able to say you are a member of so and so on your resume. It's probably more significant to people who are in a career where the competition is a little more stiff than ours. Believe me, it's of no benefit to nurses. They don't even look at your resume which is a little disheartening because I thought mine looked pretty attractive! Congratulations on being invited!

Friday, September 26, 2008 5:25:00 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Congratulations on your invitation. It sounds like a good opportunity for you.

Merle

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:23:00 PM  
Blogger Miller scribe said...

Cheers! What does it hurt to accept, even if it doesn't do a lot to help? Go for it!
You got a lot of Josh Turner songs on your playlist, but you need his "Backwoods Boy" to go with the last couple of lines of this post.

Monday, September 29, 2008 9:38:00 AM  
Blogger GKStauffer said...

OK, so no sororities, but I think I'll give the Geek honoring society a try. Oops, I mean Greek. And if it turns out to be nothing more than a status symbol, then I won't bother renewing it after I graduate. But if it is worthwile, then I reckon I ought to give it a fair chance now.

Yeah, Done! Song added. I do like most of Josh Turner's music.

Monday, September 29, 2008 8:19:00 PM  
Blogger Gene and Amy Stauffer said...

My mistake. And here all this time I thought...

*grin*

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 10:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home