Sunday, October 05, 2008

Cabela's points

I have a Cabela's Visa card, and I try to do most of my spending through that. It's not that I inentionally spend more money than I would otherwise, just because I have this card, but rather that I try to do as much of my spending through the card as possible because there are several good reasons for me to do so. I learned a long time ago that I am more likely to spend cash if I carry it, rather than charge things to a card. I know, not everyone is like that, but it works for me. Also, I want to build my credit score as much as possible, and having this credit card is one way of doing it. Also, Cabela's has a points system where they give you a 1% reward for everything you charge to your card. In other words, if I charge something worth $100 to my card, they give me $1 of credit to buy something in their store. If you are responsible with a credit card, and never have a late payment, and never get charged any interest, then the points system is basically their way of thanking you by giving you something free from the Cabela's store. If I have my info correct, you can only use the points to buy something from the store though; you can't use it to pay off your credit card bill, or collect the value in cash, or anything like that. It's one of those things that's good to sign up for, then forget about it for a few years, if you can, and not worry about how many points you are accumulating. I've been using my Cabela's card for a few years now, and I don't remember for sure if I ever used any of my points to buy anything at Cabela's or not. I was saving up my points in hopes of getting another gun some day. Well, on Friday I finally got around to it. I got a Ruger .44 Magnum revolver almost for free. I figured that off all the things I could have gotten at Cabela's, a gun would hold its value the best, so in that way it might have been the best choice of an investment. It was used, and listed at a price just a little bit above the number of points I had saved up. It had a scope on it, but I got them to take it off so I could fit the gun to a holster. The scope was not very nice, and looked scuffed pretty badly. Some other customer at the gun counter at Cabela's was eyeing up my gun, and we got to chit-chatting a little bit. I offered to give him the scope for free, because to me it looked like a really beat up piece of junk, and he, in turn, offered to buy a box of bullets for me. So I walked away with a nearly free gun, a free box of bullets, and a few years of establishing good credit with Cabela's Visa. Suits me fine!

3 Comments:

Blogger Gray Lane said...

Not a good post for me to read immediately after I hear the bank I usually walk into has been robbed an hour and a half ago. At least I know it wasn't you because the description of the man was 6'2" and long hair.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:31:00 PM  
Blogger GKStauffer said...

Wow. Now that's a classic example of stereotyping. I mean, not of the robber, but of gun owners in general. I own my guns for the purpose of hunting animals with them. :-)

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Gray Lane said...

I know. It was the timing. The principal walks out of my room after informing me of the lock-down and I check your blog within 3minutes. It was more amusing than alarming.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008 8:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home