I meant to post this earlier, but never got around to it. Last week, I was out in the fields with a couple of buddies taking care of some rodent problems, and we found this little munchkin laying in the field. We almost accidentally drove over it, until my buddy Zach stopped the truck and started yelling something about "deer deer!" We all were looking out through the bushes along the edge of the field, trying to see a big full grown deer, but then he started pointing down alongside of the truck. Here was this little fawn all cuddled up, and trying to blend in. By the size of it, I'm guessing it couldn't have been more than a couple of days old, if even that. It might have even been born the previous night before this photo. All we had was camera phones, and I thought I had mine set to take a larger photo, but this is what I wound up with. I have never seen a live fawn that small so close. We never saw the mama doe. This little one stayed laying still for a few minutes, then got up and ran off. We just left it alone. While it was laying there though, all curled up like that, it was only about as long as my forearm, and it had this little wet nose that would twitch, and these big Bambi eyes. It will taste good once it packs a few more pounds on.




1 Comments:
Cute! I've seen some young ones this year, too. The other day I saw a young family of wild turkeys -that was fascinating.
Just read a little old lady in our state found a fawn in her flowerbed and beat it to death with a shovel because she was scared of it. Hello?
Post a Comment
<< Home