Thursday, March 25, 2010

God gave us....

God gave us dogs. We call them "man's best friend." Why? Because they are usually loyal (I'm picturing a Golden Retriever or Black Lab). You can punish a dog, and it will tuck its tail and lower its head, whimper and hide. But the tail doesn't lie, and before long the dog will still be able to come back wagging its tail and ready to play. They learn. They salivated for Pavlov, and they learn obedience best when they are young. They are loyal friends if they are not mistreated. God gave us dogs to teach us about loyalty. His loyalty.

God gave us horses. They teach us about the noble use of strength under direction. His noble strength and direction.

God gave us storks. They don't make good pets, but who cares? I think He gave them to us for another reason. I have recently learned that storks are some of the most caring animals for their own. These birds of the same feather really do flock together, but not like ignorant birds like chickens. Storks nurture each other and support each other - not just their young, but their own old ones too. When an old stork can't flap his wings as fast and keep up with the others, the other storks fly along side or under him, and help to hold him up. What better animal to deliver babies? There is a Greek word for love that I never heard of before, or at least don't remember hearing until recently. You may have heard of agape, phileo, and eros. Maybe you have, but then again, maybe not. Regardless of that, have you ever heard of storge? It is the kind of love love demonstrated by the stork. I never heard of it before, so it's a new word to me. No, I didn't coin it like "euphorrhythmia." God gave us storks to teach us about storge love. His storge love.

I would say He gave us guppies to teach us about agape love, but that's a bit of a stretch, and I don't know how to pull that one together. They just rhyme in English. Almost. Maybe it's like this: guppies... no matter how you look at them, you can't help but love 'em! How is that for unconditional love? Eh... scratch that one from the list.

God gave us all of these other animals too. Maybe what I'll do is try to learn why he gave us those, and just maybe I'll learn a few more things about God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home