Friday, January 19, 2007

O boy O boy O boy!!!!!!

I just received an e-mail yesterday from Hershey Medical Center stating that I have been accepted as one of the summer externs for this year! This is exciting to me. When I went for the interview the other week, they had said that if I get the position I would be working on the 4th floor Acute Care Specialty Unit which "consists of 46 private beds and includes 16 telemetry beds." They treat neurology, neurosurgical, ENT, plastic surgury, ophthalomological, traumatic, and urology patients. I still have to go through a little bit of paperwork and some legal stuff like a drug screening to finalize the employment, but basically I have the position reserved....I'm in!

The beginning of the spring '07 semester is coming fast. Too fast. I got all the books for this semester, and I'm starting to get really worried. All of this big fat books I previously saw in the college bookstore in the nursing section, well, here they come. The one book is three inches thick. I'm in trouble now; I only read about 80-100 words per minute. Once again, no life for me this semester. I will be like a distant acquaintance to everyone this spring.

I also got the schedule for clinicals this spring. I have been scheduled to do clinical rotations at St. Joseph's hospital in the city of Reading and at Phoebe Berks Village in Wernersville. That's great because of all the possibilities these two facilities are the closest to home for me.

I guess I'm in for the real deal now. Up to this point I was starting to get a little bored with just studying prerequisites and taking all of the general education requirements and so on, but now we will go out and put that stuff to use. Exciting? yes. Worried? yes

3 Comments:

Blogger Gray Lane said...

Congratulations! Study hard! Learn a lot! We'll hear from you next spring if not before.

Friday, January 19, 2007 1:59:00 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

Good for you! I'm glad you got the position. Happy Studying! Edith

Monday, January 22, 2007 8:26:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Congrats on getting into the real thing. How's it going by now? Reading is the bane of my existence. Nobody knows what torture is until they work 40 hours a week, go to school full time, and then have to sit down and read 100 pages at a time. Prepare to learn the art of skim reading.

I'm not sure about the ACLS thing. I've got too many other things to worry about right now. I'll take it in stride if/when the time comes.

As far as what area I want to go into--I still haven't decided for sure. I've liked everything I've done up to this point. I'm kind of waiting to see how I like the ER in about a month. I love ICU and I'm leaning that way right now. My professor told me that if you get experience in schock/trauma you can go anywhere.

Sunday, March 04, 2007 9:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home